Given Joventut de Badalona’s renowned ability to consistently produce some of the brightest hopes in Spanish basketball and its complicated financial situation (the third lowest budget in the Liga ACB for the 2013-2014 season), it has a adopted very clear strategy: developing its young talent.
In the 2013-2014 season, Joventut de Badalona decided to hire PRO 3 to evaluate and strengthen the psychological characteristics of the youngest players on its first team, whose average age was 24, in order to improve performance, communication, player management and locker room attitude.
- Profile the youngest players on the first team on a psychological level.
- Detect the players who most need monitoring.
- Outline the methodology to work and communicate with the youngest players on the first team for the coaching staff.
- Determine which reserve team players have the best psychological potential and profile to play for the first team.
- JORDI MARTÍ, Sporting Director
- SALVA MALDONADO, First Team Coach
Place and format
The PRO 3 sport personality evaluation was conducted at the club’s premises an hour before an afternoon training session. The players completed the 297 questions online in groups of 3 under the supervision of a member of the PRO 3 team, who was present not only to focus their attention and answer their questions but also to analyse the behaviour of the players while taking the test.
Assessment of results: Initial situation
- Meeting with Salva Maldonado and Jordi Martí to interpret the players’ results one by one.
- Identification of the players with a high potential for success and comparison with their actual performance on the court in order optimise their management.
- Identification, in conjunction with the coaching staff, of the players who should have a personal monitoring programme.
- Definition of the ‘chemistry’ of the team and the profile best suited to it on the personal level.
- On-court analysis of the behaviour of the players designated for the monitoring programme.
- Personal interviews with the players conducted by a PRO 3 psychologist in order to define the work to be done on the court, in the locker room and away from the game.
- Personal interviews with the players and the sporting director to facilitate communication.
- Issuance of work reports and results to the sports director.